Rhythm and Balance, Scale, Texture

In photography, symmetrical and asymmetrical balance are some of the most important elements that determine the quality of a photo. Only when knowing how to use balance in composition properly will we be able to compose high-quality photography. In this blog, I will demonstrate the concept of symmetrical and asymmetrical composition through some photos that I took for my sister's wedding.

The concept of symmetrical balance is illustrated in the image below. I positioned my camera such that the main subject is in the middle of the frame and the left and right halves of the composition are essentially equal in their visual weight. This type of balance pulls the subject into focus and make the couple the centre of attention. This creates a great sense of harmony and balance in the photo.


Nevertheless, "symmetry is not the only way to achieve balance" (p. 31). In the image below, I used asymmetrical composition to achieve balance. Instead of center-framing the subject, I placed the subject to right side of the frame. Hence, you can see that there is unequal visual weight on either side of this photo. This way of aligning the subject feels more dynamic in comparison with symmetrical composition. This technique makes the shot a lot more aesthetic and appealing to the eyes. 

       
Overall, each compositional technique has it own advantages. Choosing which type of balance depends on what kind of emotion we want to convey to the viewers. Symmetry evokes a peaceful feeling while asymmetry gives me a great sense of depth. I personally prefer using asymmetrical composition most of the time as it gives me more freedom of expression. 

Comments

Popular Posts